Ubuntu 10.10 release
Wow, in two days time, Maverick will be released, the much awaited Ubuntu 10.10 to be released on the 10th of October at 10:10. The background behind it all is genius. Maverick is the release that will cater to the mass consumer market, (the not so daring of us who are currently using Mac OS or Windows), the perfect 10 release which will be released on the 10th of October at 10:10:10. Well, personally, I can’t wait, the reviews I've read so far seem to point towards a great candidate to lure the masses, for example, http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20101007/tc_pcworld/ubuntu1010maverickmeerkatisnowofficial and http://g33q.co.za/2010/09/19/impressions-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat-beta-with-screenshots/. In this regard it must be pure coincidence that there is an initiative to prove to the world that Linux has a bigger market share than the 1% they always talk about in the media. If you go to www.dudalibre.com/gnulinuxcounter?lang=en they are urging users of Linux (GNU/Linux, whatever) to register on their site and the email address you use is linked to a single Linux user. (Of course, this isn’t the best way to do this but unfortunately coming with these figures is not an easy task). This method has its pros and cons but it’s worth the try either way, I’m going to register with them this afternoon. Linux and Ubuntu are here to stay ladies and gentlemen, I can only wish them all the best in their efforts and endeavours.
Anyway, the reason why I am so bubbly at the moment is that I will be attending my first Ubuntu release party ever this Sunday. I know that's odd, considering I've been using Ubuntu for the last two years (almost), but I never really got around to doing it. Finally I get to meet other humans who use Ubuntu, instead of the unsocial web pages, blogs and podcasts I update myself with almost daily. I hope it will be a good time to get to know my fellow Ubuntu users and maybe get some good links and contacts to further myself. If you want to see whether you can attend one of these events, look up (Google) "Ubuntu events", and I'm sure you'll be led in the right direction.
With the coming of a new release there comes the partitioning planning, the configuring of the installed release, new problems and bugs etc, the fun begins, and I am sure you will hear more from me in this regard, have a great weekend and see you on the other side of the Meerkat.
I shall write again soon,
No comments:
Post a Comment